Ear Ye Ear Ye

Welcome to my blog! As I go on my bilateral cochlear implant journey, I hope to share some of my thoughts and insights. My initial stimulation (a/k/a hook-up) date is set for January 4, 2006. Enjoy!

Friday, December 09, 2005

Day #1

Hi all,

Well, I’m back at home and doing pretty well other than a bit of nausea. L The pain is not too bad and I have just been taking it easy.

Matt and I dropped Maddy off at school and then headed to the hospital around 8:15 a.m. I checked in a 8:30 a.m. and got all prepped. Matt stayed with me until I went in. Surgery was right on time around 9:35 a.m. The last memory I have before going under was one of the audiologists holding my hand…it was nice knowing people in the OR.

Surgery was a success and only lasted 2 hours! I was back in recovery with Matt by around noon and was discharged by 2:30 pm. I look beautiful, of course, with my lovely pressure bandage. I’m pretty sure that Matt took some pictures but I think I have been too scared to look at them so I haven’t uploaded them to my computer yet. They will follow as well. J The gals from my team in the Bionic Ear Association sent me some wonderful gifts on Wednesday…one was a surgical cap that said “Gone Bilateral” on the side. Dr. Novak really appreciated that and let me wear it back to the OR. They also got Maddy some of the CUTEST Tigger scrubs that I have ever seen and she thoroughly enjoyed pretending to be my nurse!

The rest of the evening consisted of basically just resting. Maddy stayed with Aunt Rebecca for most of the evening until bedtime. I wish I had a camera to capture the look on her face when she saw me with my bandage! As I put her down to bed, our normal routine is to say, “Big hug, big kiss, earlobes (she kinda rubs her earlobes in between her fingers – go figure, daughter of an audiologist!)” but when we go to the earlobe part she said, “Mommy, I’ll just rub this earlobe because the other one is under your bandage.” Awwwwwww.

Well, that’s about it for now, not much else to say. Thanks for all of the supportive e-mails, prayers, good thoughts and wishes!

Hugs,
~ Tina ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home