Ear Ye Ear Ye

Welcome to my blog! As I go on my bilateral cochlear implant journey, I hope to share some of my thoughts and insights. My initial stimulation (a/k/a hook-up) date is set for January 4, 2006. Enjoy!

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Day #12

Things have been relatively calm since my last entry...of course, there have been a few highlights. ;)

On December 13 (yes, 5 days after surgery), I got on an airplane and flew to Tennnessee for a meeting. People think I was crazy, but I really was feeling rather good. It's amazing to me how much easier it is this time around. During my first surgery, I had very bad dizziness which kept me off my feet a little bit more. My incision still looks and feels great and I haven't felt anymore after-effects from the anesthesia.

I do have quite loud tinnitus (ringing) in my newly implanted ear and at times, it does seem to interfere with what I am getting from my first implant. I did get a bit of a tweak (a/k/a map adjustment) when I was on my trip - helps to work with a bunch of cochlear implant audiologists! (Thanks SG)

After a day and night in Tennesse, I got to come home and read a bedtime story to Maddy and tucked her in. The next morning, I dropped her off at school and Matt and work and then headed back to good old Willard - what I like to call "airport in the cornfield".

Next, it's off to sunny southern California for another meeting and the Advanced Bionics Holiday Party. I really work with a great bunch of people and feel so fortunate to be part of this group. They are working so hard to bring the best product forward and really support their customers.

The party was held in the Ronald Reagan Memorial Library which also houses Air Force One. It was kinda neat to walk through the plane which is surprisingly small! The tour guide said it is about 1/3 the size of the current presidential plane, Air Force Two.

This party was a very difficult listening situation. I definitely was depending a lot on speechreading (as I'm sure others were). It was in this huge room, with hundreds of people and VERY loud music! I can't wait until my next holiday party so I can see how well my new technology complements my previous technology.

Afterwards, I stayed up for a few more hours chatting with a wonderful colleague before taking a shower and heading back to LAX to catch a 6 a.m. flight (yes, this means I had to arrive at the airport by around 4 a.m. - ugh!). A couple of hours of sleep on the plane and then I arrive in Chicago. My friend picks me up and we head downtown...I have tickets to see "Wicked"! This is my 3rd time seeing this show and I still love it. The next interpreted performance is at the end of March and I look forward to seeing it for the 4th time with my new CI.

After the show, we hang out for a couple of hours and then I'm back on the plane going home. Once again, Maddy's awake and ready for her book. I'm home. :)

Matt, Maddy and I will be seeing both sides of the family for Christmas which means a bit of driving. I don't know yet about our plans to celebrate the New Year.

January 4th can't come soon enough!!!!

Happy Holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home